County Judge of Monroe County
Sixteenth Judicial Circuit
Freeman Justice Center ~ Monroe County Courthouse
302 Fleming Street
Key West, FL 33040

Mark Wilson was appointed to the County Court by Governor Rick Scott in 2017. Before his appointment, Judge Wilson served for twelve years as a prosecutor at the Office of the State Attorney for the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit, where he finished as Chief Assistant State Attorney. Among other assignments, he served as the public corruption prosecutor and the legal advisor to the Monroe County Grand Jury. For four years he was concurrently appointed as a Special Assistant United States Attorney, where he prosecuted federal crimes in United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. He was the first prosecutor in the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit to have ever received such an appointment.


Before moving to the Florida Keys, Judge Wilson served as a judicial clerk to Justice J. Michael Eakin of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. He also served for three years as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Law at The Pennsylvania State University and Widener University, where he taught criminal law, criminal procedure, advanced criminal procedure, and evidence.


Before his legal career, Judge Wilson served as a trooper with the Wyoming State Highway Patrol, where he twice led the state in the number of traffic violators apprehended. He spent four years as an enlisted man in the United States Army, where he served as a paratrooper in the 2nd Battalion (Airborne), 187th Infantry Regiment at Fort Kobbe, Panama and the 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Among other awards, he received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, and a Combat Infantry Badge for service in Operation Just Cause, the United States’ invasion of Panama that deposed Panamanian dictator General Manuel Antonio Noriega. He was recalled to active duty for Operation Desert Storm, the First Gulf War. He was honorably discharged as a sergeant.


Judge Wilson received his secondary education from the Religious Society of Friends, a Bachelor of Arts with highest honors from Rutgers College, a Juris Doctor magna cum laude from The Pennsylvania State University, and a Master of Laws from Yeshiva University. He studied constitutional law under Dr. Jacob W. Landynski Z”L at the Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social Research.

Judge Wilson lives in Key West with his wife and daughters.


The Code of Judicial Conduct forbids judges from permitting or considering ex parte communications outside the presence of the parties on matters concerning pending or impending judicial proceedings. See Fla. Code Jud. Conduct, Canon 3B(7). Accordingly, do not contact the Court expecting to speak to the judge about any case. Moreover, neither the Court nor the judicial assistant can give legal advice on any subject. You may, however, contact the judicial assistant concerning purely procedural or scheduling matters. If you are an unrepresented criminal defendant, any communication with the Court must be in writing with a copy provided to the State Attorney. If you want the Court to take any action in your case, you must file the appropriate motion with the clerk and follow the procedure set forth below to have the motion heard.



Parties who want the Court to take any action in their case must file the appropriate motion with the clerk. Contacting the judicial assistant by telephone or e-mail is not a substitute for filing a motion, and the Court will not act on an informal request of that kind. Parties desiring to have a motion heard by the Court must first file it with the clerk of court and then set it for hearing. Please keep in mind these are separate steps involving different parties and must be done in that order: a motion must (1) be filed with the clerk and (2) be set for hearing by the Court. It is the responsibility of the moving party to take both of these steps.


The Court schedules its own motions. Accordingly, once a motion has been filed with the clerk, the moving party must contact the Court to arrange for the motion to be set for hearing. Parties wishing to set motions should make a request by e-mail with the Court’s judicial assistant, Christina Norris, at External link opens in new tab or All parties to the case must be copied on the e-mail. Please include the case name and case number in the subject line. Kindly state the type of motion you wish to set and the approximate amount of time you anticipate the motion will require. If you are seeking to appear remotely by telephone or videotelephony (i.e., Zoom), you must indicate whether the other parties to the case consent to your remote appearance. Advance permission from the Court is required for remote appearances.


Once Ms. Norris has provided potential dates, coordinate with the other parties to select a mutually agreeable date and time for the hearing. Please do not copy the judicial assistant on communications solely between counsel. After the parties agree on a date, Ms. Norris will acknowledge by e-mail that the motion has been set for hearing and copy all parties. The moving party should thereafter file a notice of hearing with the clerk.