16th Judicial Circuit
Job Title: Counselor -Key West/Marathon
Department: Drug Court
Reports To: Clinical Supervisor/Treatment Manager
FLSA Status: Included
Prepared By: Jennifer Bassett, Clinical Supervisor/Treatment Manager
Prepared Date: April 24, 2019
Approved By: Holly Elomina, Trial Court Administrator
Approved Date: ____________________
Adult Diversion Drug Court Counselor Job Summary: To provide case management assistance, as well as individual and group counseling to offenders in the diversionary drug court program. Most of the clients assigned are men and women charged with their first drug-related non-violent felony meeting DSM-5 criteria for substance abuse and/or dependency.
Family Treatment Drug Court Counselor: Provide case management assistance as well as individual and group counseling to participants in the family treatment court program. The majority of the clients assigned to the program are men and women with children adjudicated dependent, meeting the DSM-5 criteria for substance dependency. The Counselor works closely with the Department of Children and Families, Guardian Ad Litem and Dependency Court Judges.
Juvenile Drug Court Counselor: To provide case management assistance, as well as individual and group substance abuse counseling to male and female participants and their families in the Juvenile Drug Court. The Counselor works closely with the Department of Juvenile Justice, Monroe County Schools, and Delinquency Court Attorneys and Judges.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interview clients, review records, complete addiction screening assessments, interviews and confer with other professionals to evaluate condition of client.
Prepare historical report on arrests/charges and obtain all relevant records/information on eligible references to determine appropriateness.
- Formulate program to treat and rehabilitate the client and to promote prevention of further alcohol and drug abuse.
- Develop case management/treatment plan.
- Counsel clients individually and in group sessions weekly to assist them in overcoming alcohol and drug dependency.
- Counsel family members when necessary to assist family in dealing with and providing support for client.
- Facilitate client process groups and develop group curriculum.
- Refer clients to other support services as needed such as medical evaluation and treatment, residential treatment, social services, and employment services.
- Monitor client’s progress and compliance in program activities to evaluate success of therapy and adaptation to treatment.
- Document client progress in the appropriate computer program and maintain individual files.
- Prepare monthly court status reports and present along with client progress and clinical recommendations to Drug Court Judge at Status Hearings.
- Develop, implement and conduct substance abuse education, treatment and community resources for ancillary services.
- Coordinate with other supervising agencies.
- Close cases on all terminated clients and complete all related paperwork.
- Conduct urinalysis testing and handle chain of custody documents as appropriate.
- Duties and assignments may be changed with notice based on department needs.
- Perform other tasks assigned by supervisor.
Responsibilities Specific to Adult Diversion Drug Court:
- There are no additional responsibilities required that are specific to Adult Diversion Drug Court.
Responsibilities Specific to Family Treatment court:
- Comply with Department of Children & Families Common Licensing Standards Review requirements, documented in Chapter 397, F.S. & Chapter 65D-30, F.A.C.
- Works with family systems and agencies to assist parents who have temporarily lost custody of their children.
- Coordinate with other supervising agencies, such as Guardian Ad Litem, Community Based Care, DC&F, and other treatment programs.
Responsibilities Specific to Juvenile Drug Court:
- Counsel family members to increase coping skills, parenting skills, communication skills with their adolescent child(ren); to assist family in understanding addiction, dealing with and providing support for their child(ren).
- Refer juvenile participants and their families to other support services as indicated such as medical evaluation and treatment, residential treatment, social services, and employment training services.
- Attend ancillary DJJ meetings and commitment conferences.
Responsibilities Specific to Key West/Marathon Drug Court Counselor:
- This position is based Key West with additional clients in Marathon. Position requires frequent travel.
- This position requires that the counselor have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and have knowledge of the Florida State Courts System, trial court process, and criminal justice system. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge base should include course work or workshops including: Counseling theories; Addiction theories; Knowledge of working with diverse populations and gender issues; Knowledge of the most current DSM, drug classifications and effects.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Counselor is a senior level position requiring an individual to hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field (counseling, therapy, social work, psychology, addictions, substance abuse counselor, etc.)
- The ideal candidate will have three (3) to five (5) years of direct service counseling/therapy experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write effectively to produce narrative assessment reports, letters and memos for court in prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information verbally to ancillary agencies, families and in court. Ability to communicate effectively with the Drug Court team.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as demographic/population served statistics, discounts, interest, commissions.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- The ideal candidate will hold a valid State of Florida LCSW, LMHC, LMFT, CAP, or MCAP, or an equivalent Florida license/credential in a related field.
- A counselor without a license or CAP credential may be hired on a probationary status so long as he/she is able to work toward the same and apply for their license/credential within their first year of employment.
- The employee is required to maintain a valid driver’s license in the State of Florida.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.